A modern browser is required to use this site. Please use the latest version of one of the following browsers:
An Introduction to Synthesis
Separate your sound from the rest through synthesis.
Thavius Beck is a multi-instrumentalist, producer, and emcee. He has collaborated with or remixed artists such as Nas, Nine Inch Nails, and Skylar Grey, to name a few. In this course, Thavius teaches the basics of sound design in synthesis using Ableton Live. In 21 lessons, Thavius will introduce the vocabulary of synthesis and sound design, the different parameters of subtractive and FM synthesis, and how to design melodic and percussive sounds from scratch. Course Run Time (1h 44m)
- Acquire a basic foundation for understanding fundamental synthesis.
- Learn the breakdown of polysynth and how to manipulate oscillators by understanding how they affect sound.
- Get comfortable using filters to achieve a specific type of sound.
- Gain an understanding of envelopes and modulation.
- Learn the use of envelopes to open creative possibilities and madulate more than just volume.
Deconstructing a Subtractive SynthIn this step, Thavius introduces the basics of synthesis.
What is an OscillatorIn this step, Thavius introduces the oscillator, the different waveforms, and setting up a second oscillator.
What is a FilterIn this step, Thavius discusses filter types, resonance, filters in series, and using parallel filters.
Triggering an Amplifier and Amp Envelope using ModulationIn this step, Thavius discusses amplifiers, the different types of envelopes, and sound design using envelopes.
Further ModulationIn this step, Thavius discusses designing kick drums with pitch modulation, creating snares with the noise generator, creating hi hats with decay, gates and triggers, and LFO modulation.